Tuesday, October 28, 2003

My Lunchbox was not typical

Back when I was in grade school, I had a lunchbox which I thought was what about the things I thought were important. Sure, the other kids had the standard "Jonny Quest" and "Yogi Bear" for boys, or "Cinderella" and "Brady Bunch" for Girls, but I had what was important to me. I had an Apollo Astronauts lunchbox. And the best part is that I still have that lunchbox and the thermos bottle. I even used to use it a couple of years ago to take lunch to work. I even had someone where I used to work offer me several hundred dollars for it one day. I guess that means I picked something that really did mean something, but it took 30 years for others to figure it out.

With the moon landings, I was so inspired by these people who risked their lives on what probably could have been a one-way trip. Just to travel to the moon and see what was there. That is where the term "No Fear" should have originated. They had to contend with the possibility of the spacecraft failing at any second, for weeks. The thought of a gruesome instantaneous death (literally) looming over their heads . at every moment. I can not imagine the thoughts that went through their minds.

I just wish I could have met one of these men at some time. I know that I am not someone who would stand out in scientific circles, or have medals all over their chest, (Even though I have 6 Navy medals I earned while on active duty) I am just a regular person, who would have liked to speak to them for a few minutes.

I have to say that I am disappointed to hear that Mr. Armstrong will not do interviews or the like. Personally, I feel that someone who is presented with the ability to be the first one to do something that effects the future of an entire population of a planet, should not be closed off and unwilling to share that experience. From what I can gather, these men are very quiet and such for the most part. I do not think that anyone would have been upset if they only shared a small portion of their experience to the world. Now, when the world truly needs real, honest to god hero, we can only hear from them if we buy their book or when we go to a convention to get an autograph signed.

This is where I think I saw mankind stop for a moment, glance down at their shoes, and then slowly walk away wondering what we did as a people, to be shunned by the men we had placed up so high on a pedestal. Did we put them up so high, that they could not come back down?


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

No comments: