Tuesday, July 22, 2003

What did you say???

Pam asked me, "Why do you have a constant ringing in your ears?" Well, The ringing if from tinnitus. This was brought on from the 140 to 160 decibel (& frequency) oscillation of an electro-magnetic furnace. This 175KW machine is one of the devices I operated while managing a Foundry. (send me an e-mail of you want to see a picture) It also was from welding, machinery operation and general shipboard noise levels. I used to sleep with ear plugs in every night while onboard the ship. This was due to the ambient noise levels on the ship being so high, you could not sleep otherwise. Think about a 4 foot diameter fan, running 24/7 about 8 feet from your bed. after, lets say a 1 month or so cruise time, It was so bad that when we would return to port, and I could not sleep at home without a fan running in the room. Then the slience was so bad, you (as my Mom puts it) hear a mosquito fart all the way out to the mailbox. 50%

No comments: