Thursday, July 17, 2003

The little anti-virus engine that could (not)

If you run a PocketPC and PC-cillin 2003, the wireless devices do not update (with the systems I have been working with). I was about to give up with this problem till I got bit. The problem is that the potential for damage still exists on my newly rebuilt system. What I call this is a real issue. Think about this,...... Every time I sync with a Trojan attachment from my PDA, the damn sync plants the virus right down into my OS. Then all hell breaks loose. It is nice (and most times necessary) that I download my mail to my PDA. When I do (like when I am out of the office), the antivirus on the PDA does not detect an anomaly and the PDA inherently does not read the attachments. Thus, a daily virus potential that is a real problem. This is a nasty problem to deal with. That is actually one of the main reasons I rebuilt my system. A virus got loose and damaged the file system before PC-cillin caught it. Overwrote some dll's and such. Any of this make any sense? Sorry, I am bushed. I will talk more about this tomorrow. :)

No comments: