Monday, January 19, 2004

Why go to Mars? You tell me.

If you are only given one reason to go to Mars, it has to be to safeguard the species. This would be one way to up the odds that the human race would be perpetuated as a species.

What the heck is he talking about?

The thinking behind this is just plain numbers. If something did happen to this planet, like an asteroid impact, a completely lethal (mortiferous) plague, or Global Thermonuclear War, this might be the only way to keep the human race alive. And with the way things are right now, all three are possibilities with the asteroid collision as the least likely canidate.

I can see the less than scholarly members of American society will be completely unable to understand what I am talking about. With the frail and completely innocent Michael Jackson on trial against by such an oppressive establishment, who is poised to place him in prison for just feeling the warmth and love of children in his bed. And who could forget Brittany Spears having to retort her 8 hour marriage which was wrongly consummated under the vail of alcohol and a free spirit and mind. With such horrific items in the news, I can see where some people might not "get it".

If there is only one reason to go, I would say that would be it. Obviously this is something that 99.999% of the population does not even think about or even consider the possibility. But it is the first reason I thought of. If we do not continue, what have all the people who have suffered or died in all the wars and struggles before us died for? What have all the civil rights and reasons for morality or religion been for? If we do not have a contingency for the "what if" scenario, then why bother to go on? Surely a religious person would understand the reason to go on. All organized religions want you to pass on what they feel is the word of truth. Thus, continuing on a reason for being and a reason to survive. If not for anything else than to deliver the word of their god(s).

Mormons are the same as most religions in the fact that we are supposed to pass on the gospel to others who either do not know of it, or do not subscribe to it. I will be misquoted with this but I think of it as procreation. I see it as every new person who hears (and believes) the doctrine of the church is a new person (in my view) and worth saving. Thus, if I teach someone about what I believe, there is perpetuation of life as I know it.

Sure, this would not even be an issue if there were never any more wars, poverty, hunger, or the like. You could even take it down further to basic human emotions. It would not be an issue if there were no envy, jealousy, hatred, greed, gluttony, racism, prejudice, discrimination, covetousness, resentment, or ignorance. But there is a lot of that and it is not going away.

In that case, people who have big power, have to make the decisions to do what is needed for all, even though nearly everyone is against them. I can see that this specific thing might not ever benefit my family, or friends, or anyone I ever knew. But it could help "us" survive in the event "What if" ever does happen.

Now tell me, honestly, would you rather mankind possibly die completely, than letting them try and create a little insurance in the event they must save themselves?


No comments: