Wednesday, January 14, 2004

Pathfinder stamps.

Mars Pathfinder examining a rock named Barnicle Bill. Pathfinder landed on the 4th of July, 1997When the Sojurner (better know as Pathfinder) Rover landed on the 4th of July 1997. I was so impressed. We (as a people) got a camera on a stick, a remote control car (so to speak), and a bunch of inflatable beach balls (OK, I am greatly simplifying this out of proportion) and shot them out into space. Now, were driving around on another planet. It was not as great a feat as the Apollo missions to the Moon, but would have to suffice for me (in my lifetime) as my generations Greatest Space Achievement. The next generations are the ones who will venture back out into space and will stay out there.

Just before Christmas 1997, I knew that the Post Office was issuing a Mars Pathfinder stamp. I figured I had the money at that time and I was not going to be one of the people who "wished I had bought some of those when they came out".

I was always one to get space stamps. Even when I was little, I had the Apollo stamps, and even the Skylab stamps. One of my favorites was the linkup stamp for the US and CCCP docking in space. I know I have a few because I always put them in the inside of my Snoopy book my Mom and Dad bought me when I was about 8.

Anyway, I went in to the post office and it was packed. People were trying to mail out their Holiday packages and the line was real long. I finally got to the counter and the frazzled clerk asked what he could do for me. This is the Mars Pathfinder stamp issued in December of 1997.  It was one of the best stamps ever produced by the US Postal Service.  The face value for this stamp is $3.00 US. I said, "do you have any of the Mars Lander stamps?" The guy said "sure, they are $3.00 a piece. How many would you like?" I said "I want a two hundred. I would be happy with one hundred, but I would like two. He stood there staring at me for about 30 seconds. He finally smiled and said "Ok, but I never thought someone would want these. I guess I am just too old to appreciate the space program anymore." After a bit of searching (and ticking off the others in the enormous holiday line) He said he had about 108 of them left with the combined amount of the other clerks. I said "I'll take them all but I would appreciate if you didn't open the sealed packages." I left there with a big smile and a feeling of accomplishment. It is the small things you remember most.

Mars Pathfinder tooling around in front of the lander. Pathfinder landed on the 4th of July, 1997So, of all the things I have in my little stamp collection, there are a few little stamps her and there, and two big 50 count packs of Pathfinder stamps, just waiting for my grandkids to look at while they are watching the people walking around on Mars. (If they are not there themselves)


No comments: