Tuesday, January 20, 2004

Well, I didn't know about blink problems

I imagine this goes under the "I didn't know but will not do it again" area. I am sorry if anyone has had a browser crash because of this. But I am not going back through the archives and remove the tags in my previous posts. Mainly because no one has complained about anything (yet). Someone complains, then I will consider it.

Avoid blinking text created with the BLINK element

It is suggested that blinking text created by the BLINK tag be replaced by one of the following options:

  • Emphasized text; for example: <EM>this is important</EM>
  • An animated GIF image whose Alt text corresponds to the blinking text
  • A Java applet with alternative text that corresponds to the blinking text
  • Rationale

    Some screen readers for the visually impaired are unable to read blinking text. They may get "stuck" on the text and read it repeatedly, or they may freeze the entire computer system. Blinking text is also difficult for visual users to read and distracts users from other parts of the page.

    Guideline references

    WAI checkpoint 7.2


    No comments: