Saturday, January 03, 2004

Going somewhere else?

After much (self) deliberation, I have determined that my experience and talents would fare better if I ventured out to another location. Perhaps somewhere remote. I have pondered this for about 4 years now. I just have never taken it seriously until lately. There are so many places in the world to go, (most are rather unforgiving to Americans). With all the "police actions", "political conflicts" and all out wars at the moment, it is hard to define a safe place to even start looking. The anecdote about "Out of the frying pan and into the fire" comes to mind.

I did several web searches and found that IT people are wanted in places like the Falkland Islands and other remote locations. That seems like a nice place to go. Never been there. When I asked the kids, they said it would be great. Being completely ignorant of making such a change has got to be bliss.

Upon further searches, I have realized that there are lots of remote locations to go to (relatively free of war and violence). I guess, That just means I need to pick a place and go. The family could follow later.

The only true reason not to do this, is that Bridget needs a nominal amount of repetitive medical attention. With the possibility of major complications with her inner ear(s), this makes such a drastic change improbable, if not impossible. If her ear drum or other parts were to get out of whack (very technical terminology used here), her normally mediocre problem, could turn life threatening. Kind of puts things into a bit of a focused perspective if I do say so myself.

I guess there is always Alaska! At least we would have access to military medical facilities?!?


No comments: