Thursday, January 01, 2004

Not in our culture, but it is in theirs

As I spoke about previously, I chat with my friend Fardina when ever she is online. Due to the time differences, it is not something we do as often as I would like. She has a point of view I do not see here. A unique perspective that shows a more family driven set of standards.

One of the things that intrigues me is that right now, she is working on her brothers marriage. Not that this is very unusual for a sister to do. But, this is an arranged marriage. I have not really expected to hear that one. I can't imagine it, but I can understand it. For me to imagine that I would grow up, and marry a woman I knew (or possibly didn't know), for all of my like is hard to get to sink in. The predisposition of a life's destiny comes to mind in what is happening there.

If you think I am taking a jab at this, your absolutely wrong. I think that if possible, this would have made life here in the United States easier. Not having to bother with advanced sexual rituals, (dating) or having to set goals for a spouse would have given me a lot more time to do more with my life. Taking all the time I spent looking for a wife (Prior to the first marriage) would have made it possible to concentrate on what my life was for. I probably would have never been associated with my first wife at all.

Should parents be more of a role-player in their children's future? Here in the United States, this would not be easily attainable. The need or compulsion for freedom in every facet of our lives have taken the possibility of the right decision, and perverted it into letting people (or adolescents) choose what is right for them. Mainly, this is just allowing children without any experience to make decisions they have no possible way of making correctly.

What used to be a work that meant something, "Freedom" has been turned into "Freedom from morals" or "Freedom to choose in ignorance".

I know that there will be people who say I am advocating servitude, or even slavery. But, I can not agree with that. What would be better; letting an inexperienced child venture out into the world?, or helping them along the way? No, this is not choosing which is better. No one knows that except God, and he or she (depending on who you ask) ain't telling. It comes down to knowing what to do with your life. In that, it also means you have the responsibility to protect your children's lives. I doubt that anyone can argue that you never stop thinking of your children's welfare.

Sidebar: I have a son named Jon, and I think and worry about him every day. There is not a day that goes by that I don't miss him. It can bring me to tears knowing that he probably thinks I hate him, when the truth is the exact opposite. I just have the problem that I still think of him as my little boy, and not the man he is turning into. If it was not for my parents getting him so I could see him, I doubt I would have known he is about 4 inches taller than I am. He has his life to play out and I doubt that I will ever be a part of it. But I know, I will always think about him dozens of times a day and will never stop worrying about him. I can write this because he has no care for me. Which is something I can live with, because I love him dearly. That is what matters in the end.
All I know, is that is not going to happen to Jon, since I have nothing but a spectators view of his life. Which is just a third perspective on what my original point is.

From my perspective, I see that you really have four basic paths to take here:

  • Let the kids choose their path all on their own,
  • Possibly help them by choosing a part of the path,
  • Choose their path for them which can't always be good,     (which has not been viewed as a good choice),
  • Or taking the sideline to see what happens,     (Which is the path I have been forced         to take, due to circumstances in my life),
  • So which choice would you choose for your children? And even better, why?


    No comments: