Tuesday, August 19, 2003

The Toshiba e740 PDA repair fiasco [10 months later]

#1: The Recall Did you know that the e740 had a recall? Neither did Circuit City nor I (even 3 months after buying it). Not that Circuit City has ultra informed people (but it would have been a good reason to go ahead and get the iPaq instead). #2: The Battery: First, after fighting for 9 months on the more than 3 repeated repairs for an e740, I finally received a replacement e740. #3: The replacement: The replacement took weeks to get here, and the replacement for the dysfunctional e740 I originally purchased (which was new in the box when I bought it), Well they replaced the new unit with a "remanufactured" model. On top of that, Not only did it take the extreme amount of time, but the "remanufactured" POS unit was broken right out of the box. The thing reset and reset and reset without any assistance from me. The factory packaged e740 replacement unit also had a Satellite Laptop user manual included. (Personally, I wonder if they actually have a "quality assurance" department / group / person / whatever?) #4: The Form(s): The remanufactured (and broken) replacement finally was at Toshiba now. After faxing credit card numbers and the like, the forms said "$0.00" was to be charged to my card and the person doing the "customer service" assured me that nothing was to be charged. Well, they did try to charge my card and it was declined after the bank called and wanted to verify that Toshiba was trying to charge my account for what appeared to the bank as a suspicious charge. It was declined because I told the bank that $0.00 was to be charged per the Toshiba form. The bank said it was probably either an error with the person doing the replacement or the person with my card was pulling a fast one. On my request, my card was immediately canceled on recommendation of the bank. What ever you do, do not trust the forms "you have to sign" that state you will have to have $0.00 expunged from your account. If you do, double check for the remainder of the time you have that card active and you have my sympathies. #5: The "New" Customer Service Rep: I must have played phone and e-mail tag with the first rep for two weeks before receiving an e-mail from someone completely different pertaining to my replacement. Another reason to cancel the Visa when my information was bouncing around from rep to rep. #6: The new unit: Finally, Toshiba indicated (in an e-mail) that they were no longer able to replace the e740 with e740, so they sent me an e750. #7: The changes: The e750 has a ROM area of 32MB, which if you want to store your outlook attachments, totally screws up your ability to push them out to your SD or Flash card. Just hope you never have more than 32 MB of attachments. (Actually there is a change I just found out about today. I received an e-mail from Toshiba technical support which said that the e750 is incapable of using the outlook feature of placing your attachments onto either a Compaq flash or any SD storage cards you have. So, don’t buy the e750 if you have any intention of syncing your outlook attachments. It does not work. This is the word from the Toshiba website: Resolution: At this time, saving email attachments automatically to the SD or CF storage devices is not available. The work around is to manually copy email attachments to these storage devices. http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_dtlView.jsp?soid=480622 ) The ‘Final’ solution? For about $400, you can get a really nice 266Mhz Fujitsu Tablet PC, running 98SE or NT Workstation with 96MB of RAM and a 4GB hard drive. Yes, I know, I bought one (every day I use it). IMHO, The bottom line is “why spend the money on a PDA when the technology changes week by week and you can get a used tablet for less?� Anyone want to buy a new e750 with a 3 year extended warranty?

No comments: