Thursday, November 06, 2003

Instant messaging dilemma

I have been doing a lot of thought about what takes up study time around here. One of the biggest time-takers is instant messaging. Just when I get into studying, a flurry of messages appear. Sure, I like to chat as much as anyone else. I even have friends I really enjoy chatting with whom I have never met face-to-face.

Due to the addiction of IMs, I have come to the decision to not have my IM running during the day. That way, I can concentrate completely on what I really need to be doing. Sure, when I was learning all about Instant Messengers, it was necessary. Now that I have either functioned on an IM support helpdesk or managed an IM server system, I do not have the luxury to chat outside of personal time.

So, as of this message, I will not be chatting during business hours. The only time I will chat is during the evening and early morning. Thus, if you have something to say, please send me an e-mail. I have filters setup to manage all my friends e-mail separately. Then at the end of the day, I will answer all my friends e-mail first. Everyone must maintain that this is nothing personal and or directed at anyone. Some of you might even take this personally, but it is exactly the opposite of what I am trying to do. I can't just chat with one person and ignore the other friends I have here. I have to nip this in the butt completely. I have about 40 people who IM me all day long and that is one thing I am extremely thankful for. I just need to focus on my priorities more.

One more thing. If you see that I am online from my blog, remember that when my laptop is on and connected to the net. That does not mean I am at my PC or even at the house. It just looks that way. Also, I have found that when my system interfaces with the network, like when it downloads the new antivirus pattern file or check for new mail, it changes my online status from "idle", to "I'm available" even though I am not there. It even shows me as active on my blog if I am logged into my yahoo account with just my browser at "My Yahoo" or "Yahoo Mail". Just think of it as a feature or undocumented function. An annoying function I admit, but a function all the same.

Go figure. Murphy's Law seems to always be in effect here.


No comments: