Saturday, November 01, 2003

Identity theft, the easy way.

Today, I officially am steering the Chuggles (or "non-Computer folk") away from MSN messenger. I have just turned up three bogus login screen popups which not only look authentic, they are identical to the login screens Microsoft uses. (I.E., like to have users log into their passport accounts) Unless you were on guard 24/7 for these types of hacks, you probably would not know better. There-in lies the problem. Most Chuggles aren't vigilant 24/7.

*See my Saturday, October 04, 2003 entry on "Chuggles = Non-computer folk" for an explanation.

The inherent danger is that many people have a lot of personal data associated with their Microsoft Passport. The extent varies from their phone number to credit card numbers and eBay accounts (which hold credit card numbers). The last one I saw pop-up on my screen, I traced to some website in Hong Kong. So, if you have personal information (or even if you don't), I recommend never logging into a Microsoft Passport "pop-up" unless you are absolutely sure it was supposed to happen.

Remember, there are many ways to steal your identity, just don't fill in the passwords for the thieves yourself.


No comments: