Saturday, November 15, 2003

At least "Finding Nemo" was not (another) Tom Hanks movie.

The kids watched "Finding Nemo" and I am happy to say, it is not another Tom Hanks Voiceover. The Fathers role was spoken by Albert Brooks. He has that whines, "I don't want to be here" while using a kind of intonation what makes you want to get up and leave, but the graphics are stunning so you will stay. The other lead is Ellen DeGeneres who plays a memory deficient fish who drives the other characters in the storyline.

The only two reasons I like this movie are:

  • The ocean sounds sweeping around you with the surround sound,
  • The ocean views where everything sways back and forth,
  • I have to give this movie a 6 out of 10. I just was not impressed with the story. Honestly, I would have been more in tune with the film if they would have had much different voices for the main characters. Maybe an Aussie like Paul Hogan (Crocodile Dundee fame) and even someone like Gillian Anderson has a voice that would have sounded better.

    For a film that was supposed to be taking place on the Great Barrier Reef, you would have thought they would have picked someone that does not have a New York accent. Who wants to watch what are supposed to be Australian characters, with an east coast American accent? Yep, it totally threw me off for this film. Hey, it is the little things in life that make the difference.

    A movie that cost tens of millions to make? You would think they would have taken these small things into consideration. Like...You probably should have been told why they sounded like Americans (since they did). I don't care if it was or was not part of the story. It was annoying. The previous Pixar films were110% complete. what happened here? I guess it will be left up to you to figure it out why.

    The only voice that gave the film a positive note was William Defoe. He played the tough fish in the fishtank. See, I said one good thing about the movie.

    The best I can give it is a 6 on the 10 scale.


    No comments: