Sunday, December 14, 2003

Tough laundry problems are not necessarily stains

About 6 months ago, I had finally come to the point where I was frazzled with the kids all having to sort their laundry. We are not talking shirts and pants. For those, I have them all hung on hangers.

In September, I called to the cleaners we use and asked if they knew where I could get a bunch of hangers. The not only were happy to help, they provided me with about 700 very nice hangers. So if you want to use a Dry Cleaner in Cincinnati, I highly recommend Easternhills Cleaners.

Anyway, I have all their outer garments hung up in the closet now. This leaves plenty of room for skivvies, socks, and jammies. I had the biggest problem with separating socks and skivvies. This was remedied by buying them small knit laundry bags. Each child has a small brass hook on the end of their dresser. when they get undressed, they place their dirty socks in the knit bag and once a week, everyone throws their bag down the laundry chute to be washed.

You see, that by having all their socks and skivvies zipped up in a knit laundry bag, nothing ever gets messed up. The underwear is always theirs when they open the bag. As well as the socks always have a match and are easy to put together and right back in the drawer.

I had a problem with drying the items in the bags at first. But after figuring out that I washed all the bags together, I could then open one bag, place its contents in with something like a dryer full of blue jeans, and then place all the "white items" back in the specific bag and the bagged items would still be separated.

Upon opening the washer this morning, I found all three bags of socks in the washer. Sure, that is fine, but they had all been removed from the bags and dumped into the washer. In other words, Bridget had taken the items from the closed bags, dumped them in the washer and now created more than a half hour worth of work to separate all the items after they are removed from the dryer.

This is the kind of shit I have to contend with on a daily basis. I can't fathom the amount of thought that makes someone change a 2 minute task into a 2 hour ordeal. Was it the fact that she didn't understand that zipped bags (with everyone's name stenciled on them) should just be washed and dried without being bothered with? Or was it the fact that the 8, 7, and 6 year old even understand the idea behind not having to sort laundry and just making things easier?

Why is it that I can't get a grown (36 year old) woman to remember something for more than 12 hours? I though it was me who had the bad case of CRS. I figure it is just a form of spite or something. Whether it is subconscious or active thinking, I could never be sure.

More on this laundry larceny as it becomes available. If you have any insight as to why she could be doing this, please e-mail me. I would appreciate the assistance.


No comments: