Tuesday, December 23, 2003

A personal letter that I want to share.

This is a letter that my Grandfather gave to my Grandmother on their seventh wedding anniversary. You have to remember this was August 27th, 1939. Things have changed a bit in the way things are said, but this will always tell how much he loved her.

To Bessie
on our seventh anniversary
In nineteen hundred and thirty-two, Before God and maw, I said, I do, To all of my vows, I have been true, I truthfull say, I still love you.
Nineteen thirty three passed all to soon, Our marriage was, from the Gods a boon, The end of December seemed like June, This was part of our honeymoon.
Seventeen weeks passed in thirty four, On May the second, a child was bore, From the day we named her Mary Ann, I've been as happy as any maw.
Twas in thirty five, she learned to walk, A few weeks later, she learned to talk, Thru all that year, we watched her grow, She was our pride and joy, you know.
We left batavia in thirty six, In a strange city we learned to mix, We met new people, we made new friends, We hope we did nothing that offends.
In thirty seven and thirty eight, Was nothing momentous, to relate, We lived our life in the same old way, Enjoying ourselves from day to day.
Time has passed and it is thirty-nine, And I assure all your love is mine, I know that fore'er, this will be true, And so I repeat, I still love you.
        August 27th, 1939

No comments: