Thursday, December 27, 2007

Another Christmas, Same Situation.

Once again, my son Jon flew a thousand miles (or so) and couldn't make the last 13 miles to come and see me. He flew all the way from Eglin Air Force Base in Florida, came into the airport (a few minutes after I was there and returning from seeing my parents in Florida), went to his Grandparents home and that was it. I know his Grandfather (Her Father) would have let him borrow one his many cars/trucks. I would have even gone up and picked him up (which I told him repeatedly). Nothing. Not even a phone call.

Last year, it was even worse. His grandparents (my parents) were here and Jon said he "lost his cell phone somewhere", so he could not call (or some other bullshit like that). That tore them up and made all of us completely miserable. We all had things for him and just wanted to see and hug him. Richard, William, & Maryann had made things for him. You know, things they made in class to give to their brother. I was so happy they made things for him. They were crushed when he never showed up.

Mom & Dad had things for him and the more Dad got upset, the more pissed off I became. It practically ruined the Holiday for us all.

Actually, Richard & William were so mad at him for getting me so upset, they literally said "He won't ever be allowed in this house ever". Kind of strong words for a (then) 10 and 11 year old. They were more upset, that I was upset, than I was upset (if that makes sense).

Well, he did text me a few times when he was here and called when he was waiting in Atlanta on a lay-over on the way here. I know that does not make it any better, but I can honestly say it made the whole situation worse for me. Now, Mom and Dad (who do not need this kind of grief) are upset that he didn't come again, which makes things even worse for me.

I had repeated tried to help council him on problems he was having in the Navy. I am a Chief Petty Officer (Retired) of the United States Navy. The 'Been there, done that' thinking wanted me to help him. I had to do everything I could possibily do. Honestly, there is not much I can do from this far away, but at least I knew better courses of action to take if he was having problems. I even called the Command Master Chief to see if there was anything that he could do to help him. He did say he would check to see if there was anything that could be done so at least I nudged them in the butt to help him out. Put him on the radar so to speak. I don't feel that I need to do any of that anymore

I don't know what I did to deserve this, but after today, I think I am pretty much through with him. Let him fend for himself. But, as per usual, I will do whatever I can for him if he calls again. What can I say, I am his Father.


This page is labeled with ICRA

No comments: