Friday, April 08, 2005

Work Blog Linking

My work blog and what I do at CSX as a Freight Conductor. Well, that was relatively easy. I made an icon of a CSX Engine. The detail is terrible, but I had to figure out the way to get an entire engine into 34 by 34 pixels. Not an easy task. Took me about 90 minutes to get it to where it is now. I am rather happy about that one. It is not that great but at least I can see what it is. Hopefully, you can see what it is too! I will tweak it a little more if someone wants it or something. That would give me a reason to go a little more indepth. For just me, this is fine.

I use it as a desktop icon for a shortcut to CSX Webconnect. You can't miss this icon as long as you don't have a super-busy desktop. If you would like a copy of it, please click here and take it. I am going to try and rework it later on and make it look a little neater. That, and I am going to work on a wide-body too. If someone wants it, I can probably do any type of car or 'shoving platform' as long as the detail is low.

If you want to make the shortcut, click the link & copy the file off to your hard drive somewhere safe, like 'c:\windows\' or something like that. Then make your shortcut as usual. After you create your shortcut, just right click on it, choose 'properties' and then the 'change icon' button and browse to where ever you saved it. Couldn't be easier.

I use Firefox as my main browser so I will not have the problem of saving the file and thrashing it into the correct format as someone with Internet Explorer will. With Firefox, you click on the link, the new window pops up and you do a 'file, save as' and it is already named and you can put it where you like without any hassles. If your using IE, your going to have to save it, and then rename it and then save it to where you want it. Don't forget where you got it.

Just as a sidebar.... I have used Firefox for accessing Webconnect for over 6 months and I have had a much easier time wrangling that mainframe connection this way. You will have to install the java plugin, but that is easy enough. Just click on the Java button once you have Firefox installed and it is self configuring. But this is all just my opinion, you might do better with IE.
My work blog and what I do at CSX as a Freight Conductor.I also created a linking button to my work blog. That was very easy too. All I did was go into the editor and pick the colors that went with the standards of this style sheet. Then I just punched in the right colors and there ya are! Piece of cake.


No comments: