Thursday, April 13, 2006

Removing hidden XP Stuff (again)

I get this question at work all the time. If I did computer work at the railroad, I would get paid for it. I get paid for working on everyone's PC so I will just post this one again and let you do it.

Everyone wants to uninstall everything WindowsXP doesn't completely need to run optimally. Problem is, some programs you don't want taking up space hide away. They're next to impossible to find, much less remove.

Don't worry, because there is a Windows tweak that'll help you immediately. I found it back in November 2001 on a TV show called "The Screen Savers". I found it and posted it in my family blog back then, but I thought I should tell you again.

NOTE: This is not a total geek task, but if you have questions, just call me or instant message me with the link in the side frame. I will be happy to help you do this. I just am not really into fixing it if you screw it up without asking for help first!

  1. Navigate to C:\WINDOWS\inf

  2. Open the sysoc.inf file in Notepad or another plain text editor. If you can't find the inf directory, it's probably hidden. Unhide it.

    1. Click Tools and choose Folder Options.
    2. Under View, enable Show Hidden Files & Folders.

  3. In sysoc.inf, look for the section called "components" in XP or "old base components" in 2000. What looks like a bunch of gibberish is actually pretty easy to read. You'll see a component name, followed by an equals sign, followed by a list of parameters separated by commas.

    For example: Games=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,games.inf,HIDE,7

  4. The deal: the "HIDE" between the two last commas indicates a hidden component. Remove "HIDE" to unhide the component.

    For example: Games=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,games.inf,,7

  5. Unhide any component you want.

  6. Save the file.

  7. Reopen the Windows Component Wizard to see your new Add/Remove options!


No comments: