Friday, April 21, 2006

Password changes

Password changes are essential around here. Bridget keeps allowing the kids access to her login on the computer and that is not a idea I agree with at all.

If your now asking why? Then you either don't have kids, or do not have a computer. Kids are the ones who generally just delete things they don't see as important. Sure, Bridget continually asks me the same thing; "Can I remove this?" Things like operating system essentials, and such tend to keep a computer running when you restart it. At least with Microsoft products it does. Service packs, upgrades and the like are notorious for taking up hard drive space so the continued questions of "Why do we need that?" reappear everytime...

  1. I am out of town,
  2. When ever she buys a new game,
The ability to make my life miserable by rehashing the same computer questions over and over is taking it's toll on me. Things like, "I just want to play my game, why won't it work?" and "You can't expect me to remember these things.....", and the best one, "What is a browser again?" I think you can get a grasp on a smidgen of what I am saying here.

One way I stop things from changing on the computers we own is to set security and change passwords. That way, it only slows down the eventual onslaught of repairs and hours of frustration.

We currently have 5 PCs sitting on the floor of the living room. None work and the reason being is that I can't stand the bitching I hear everytime I try and fix one. I will not throw them out, but I can't fix them either. Now that I have complied with the demands to "just get rid of that monitor, we don't use it" and "what do we need all those cables for anyway?". Now that all the essential parts to repair the systems are gone, there is nothing to do with the major parts except look at them. A computer tower then becomes a place to stack never used piles of fabric for projects for other people or families, unworked boxes of church related sundries which have been donated by others, for other people, and various crapola which can't be addressed due to "a complete lack of cooperation" in what I call "doing it once and it is done" thinking.

You know what I mean. The "put it away when your done", and the "If you get it out, clean it, and put all the parts together so we can find it next time" ideas. This is a big one here. I have yet to find a cord to the rice cooker I bought while back because Bridget could not take the extra 15 seconds to put the cord back with the device. Now, I get blamed that it is missing and that I need to find it because it should be with a box of cords somewhere that used to be in the dinning room? I don't understand that one but you can get what I am driving at here.
but the fact is, I have 5 good systems which I can't fix because I can't get any cooperation from either Bridget or the kids.

So, I just keep making it harder for them to get in and screw things up. It is the only way I have enough time to get the absolute bare essentials done. Life here is not good for someone who was at the top of the food chain in IT, it is just living day-to-day and trying to keep something running so I can keep reading my e-mail and attempting to keep from going stir crazy from petty retributions.

As a note, I have just changed my passwords for blogger and removed everyone elses accounts to stop the potential of someone deleting my entire blog setup. Yes, I think that could happen if left unchecked. Considering all the questions as to "why is that on your blog" and "I don't see why that is on there", I have special reason to password protect my work.


No comments: