Friday, January 28, 2005

Next time, please ask your doctor!

Once again, a friend asked my opinion on what laptop to buy. I can't figure it out. Why do they ask me? What makes it so important that they ask? Why do I say that?

Because they never listen!
When I worked for Compaq, there were so many problems with the local service center. They would take days to repair equipment. And when they did get the work done, it was not always up to the standards I would expect from a company of that size and influence. On top of that, most of the hardware we used had problems. Yes, I know they had high satifaction rates, but there were extenuating circumstances to that. Also, their hardware was completely propritary so if you wanted to buy parts, you had to buy theirs. For a corporation, that is not a big deal. It commits you to buying parts that are guaranteed to work. For home users, it means that unless you get what you want on the initial build, your going to pay a very high price for add-ons and replacements.

IRT to what I said about the Doctor in the title. That refers to someone asking their Doctor about a bad pain or if you need stiches from that cut you received when sharpening the mower blades. Then after he/she gives you their educated answer, you ask your best friends uncle (who cleans grease traps) what to do for your medical problem. That is not a very smart thing to do.

But, that is what has happened the last 8 times someone asks me what would be best in the way of a laptop. I keep asking myself, why do they ask, when they are going to do what ever they want to anyway? Or at least that is the way it is going.

Sure, I try and help out when I can. But there are only so many times you can be asked and then when you get there to help them setup as you said you would you find they bought exactly what you recommended against. I truely give up on helping anyone anymore. It is just not worth the agrivation.

And people always want to know why I wear a shirt that says "No, I will not fix your computer!"


No comments: