Saturday, June 26, 2004

Command line reboot.

Do you run XP? Do you reboot your box at least weekly? If you setup a scheduled task using the following command line, you can save yourself some headaches.

  1. Go in through the administrator account to make this up. That way, it will run no matter who is logged in at the time it kicks-off.
    It will also be beneficial if you set this up on your clients, parents, or friends machines. They will not even know it is running and that way they can't complain to you when it runs in the middle of match of Unreal or Neverwinter Nights. Take into consideration that 99% of the people never remember 10 minutes after you inform them of the change. Be sure that you document this somewhere so you can tell them "I told you so" when they do complain "the computer restarts (fill in the blank) every day/week and I can't figure out why."
  2. Create a batch file and place it either in the root of "C:" or in a maintenance directory. I have a directory on every machine I operate or work on called "c:\maintenance". This is where I put all my batch files or maintenance items. It is consistent across all my machines or systems of others I work on.
    C:\WINNT\system32\shutdown.exe -r -f -c "The system is shutting down as a maintenance item, To cancel, go to Start, Programs, Shutdown_Cancel. You have 90 seconds to get your shit together, and you better be quick about it! " -t 120
If your having problems with this one, e-mail me and I will send you all the files and how to set it up. Unless your learning how XP works, don't waste your time messing with it.


No comments: