Tuesday, April 27, 2004

Gmail, don't delete the account!

     It was very late and I had created my new Gmail account. Oops, I didn't create the name I really wanted because I was rather sleepy. So I deleted it.

     If you do this, don't expect any assistance in getting it fixed. It won't happen.

     OK, I messed up. I admit it. but I don't think anyone read what I had written. If this was a test, then Google really doesn't want users who would "use" the account for real e-mail. The theory I have been constantly reading on the web is "the Gmail setup is just an advertising scheme to take business away from Yahoo, Hotmail and the like." And I say, the more power to them. I just would have liked a real address than what I mistakenly setup in their "one shot only deal".

     The next bit is what I wrote and then the reply.

MY MESSAGE:

Subject: OK, I screwed up Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 08:41:28 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

     I was given an invitation to create a gmail account in conjunction with my Blogger-Plus account. I created the gmail account, but since it was the middle of the night for me, I created one I didn't want.

     Since I didn't create what I really wanted, I deleted the account. (Big mistake) I had send a message to the account I really wanted and the apparently it was presumably available (I received an undeliverable response when I sent a message to it). I would really like to have a gmail account and would appreciate some help in obtaining the account in question.

     Previously, what I wanted was xxxxxxxxxxx@gmail.com. The account I created was xxxxxxxxxx@gmail.com, which was associted with my blogger plus account and my other e-mail address "xxxx@xxxx.com". Is it possible to get some assistance in this or am I screwed?

Thank you very much for your time,

Todd
THE REPLY:

--- Gmail Team wrote:

Thank you for your note. Unfortunately, there is no way to re-enable a Gmail account that has been deleted. Each invite link provides a user with the ability to create one account. Because Gmail is in a limited test period, we periodically issue a small number of new user invitations.

We are not able to reissue an invitation for you to create another account at this time. We look forward to announcing a wider release of Gmail, and we thank you for your patience.

Regards,

The Gmail Team
Well, if nothing else, I figure that since Google now owns Blogger, my Blogger account will be deleted, because I said something bad. This is expected. I have backed up everything I can, just in case they do just that.


No comments: