Monday, July 12, 2004

The new big job market.

I started training to be a Railroad Conductor last Monday. This is very interesting stuff. First, this is supposed to be the new be job market for the US for the next 10 years. Why? Because 80,000 jobs are going to be vacated by retiring employees. I said 80,000 in the next ten years. Think of that. That means people who are in now or are just starting now to get employed with the railroad are going to be able to go nowhere but up. Look at just one google search for "railroad jobs" and see what I am talking about.

This is one of those jobs that are only available through a training program. And I can tell you, this is not easy stuff. I am going to class from 1500 to about 2200 weekdays. That, and I have several hours of homework every night and lots of stuff to go through all weekend. You get tested at the start of every class day, and on Mondays, you get a test over the entire previous week. And from what they told us, the weekly tests are cumulative, so they get harder and harder ever week.

So far, I have a 97.6% grade average. There are now 15 people in the class and we started with 17. In the first 5 days, we lost two people.

If you want to know more about this training and the job potential, either e-mail me or do all the hours of research yourself.


No comments: